AMAZING PLACES OF MONREPOS
Monrepos is a genuine pearl of Vyborg, which along with ancient buildings gives the city a magical atmosphere.
It is simply impossible to miss this integral part of the museum-reserve. The path to Monrepos lies under the arches of the massive gates, which, as it seems, have always been here. Nobody can tell the exact date of construction of the gate to the park, where, according to many, fairy creatures still live, today. They were probably built here in the 1830s according to the project of the architect Karl Ludwig Engel. At the end of the 50s of the XX century, the Monrepo gate temporarily disappeared. They were replaced by a simple metal structure with a small gate. Today, the large neo-Gothic gates to the park again delight visitors: they were quite accurately reconstructed in 1982.
This island is captured on almost all postcards with views of Monrepos. It is also called the “Hermit’s Rock”, and it catches your eye thanks to the white-stone chapel, which rises on top of the rock in the immediate vicinity of the cliff. The English architect Thetam became the author of this chapel, and it was built between 1822 and 1830. Since that time, the island has become the family necropolis of Nikolai, which “Monrepos” was given for eternal use. Chapel Ludwigsburg became the complement of the ensemble, the concept of which was referred to only as “Island of the Dead”. In addition to the neo-Gothic masterpiece, there appeared the “Grotto of Medusa”, a massive gate and a marina, from which several stone stairs lead to the chapel. Beginning in the 1820s, a ferry began to walk to the marina.
Temple of Neptune
This pavilion was built during the reign of Ludwig Heinrich Nikolai, who adored these places with all his heart. The temple of Neptune was created according to all the canons of ancient architecture – after all, such buildings were considered an obligatory element of the landscape park at the end of the 18th century. It was built according to the project of Giuseppe Martinelli on the Neptune Peninsula, clearing it of unnecessary stones, but preserving centuries-old spruce for entourage.
Away from the bustle in the shade of tall trees stands a secluded hut, which is considered almost the only place in the landscape Park where a measured and simple life takes place. Similar pavilions were built in almost all such parks of the late XVIII century. The “hermit’s Hut” is located in the Western part of the Park on the shore of a small lake. Historically, it looked somewhat different from today: it was built of logs, but the walls were covered with birch bark and decorated with illustrations from the Bible, and the roof was crowned with a wooden bell. The “hermit’s hut” burned down in 1876, and in its place was built a new pavilion without doors, more like a gazebo.
The main attraction of Monrepos is a spacious mansion, which to this day is considered the most important monument of manor architecture in the classicism style. The manor house was built in the second half of the 18th century. The mansion, like many other buildings, took its final form during the time of the Nikolai family. So, in front of the guests of Monrepos, in a picturesque corner abundant in greenery, a one-story wooden house appeared, trimmed with a dog-dog, standing directly on granite boulders.
In the eastern part of the park, the spirit of China reigns. It is revived by Chinese arched bridges, which are thrown across the pond and lead to artificial islands created at the end of the 18th century.