MEMORIALS OF ST. PETERSBURG DEDICATED TO THE GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR
Leningrad, the most beautiful and outstanding brainchild of Peter the Great, the fascists wanted to wipe off the face of the Earth. Their plans were ruined. The brave Leningraders did not let their native city be torn to pieces by the enemy. Many monuments and memorial compositions dedicated to the great Patriotic war have been erected in Saint Petersburg in honor of the heroes of the defenders, brave and persistent residents, and in memory of the most severe times for the city.
Obelisk "Hero City of Leningrad"
The” Hero city ” of Leningrad was first named in the Order of the Supreme Commander of may 1, 1945. But the title was officially awarded in 1965. In honor of the 40th anniversary of the Victory, an obelisk was opened to the Hero city of Leningrad on Vosstaniya Square. The memorial is a vertical granite monolith with a total height of 36 meters, crowned with the”Golden star of the Hero”.
Piskarevskoe memorial cemetery
Piskarevskoe memorial cemetery — the main war memorial of the city, dedicated to the great Patriotic War. A very impressive and tearful memorial has been erected in the cemetery. Its Central figure is the sculpture “Motherland” – a bitterly grieving woman who stands with a funeral wreath over the graves of her sons. The eternal fire is burning.
Monument to the heroic defenders of Leningrad
The monument to the heroic defenders of Leningrad is located on Victory square. The monument was opened in honor of the 30th anniversary of Victory in the great Patriotic war.It is a 48-meter stele, which marks the dates of the beginning and end of the war. Behind the stele is a space below the level of the main square, which is a symbol of the open ring. In the center is a sculpture “Blockade”, depicting a soldier and women supporting dying children. On February 23, 1978, an underground hall for the blockade Museum was opened under the memorial. 900 torches have been installed along the walls according to the number of days of blockade.
Submarine D-2 " Narodovolets"
One of the first Soviet-built submarines D-2 Narodovolets in 1941 – 1945 made 4 combat exits, while sinking the boat “Jacobus Fritzen “and damaged the railway ferry”Deutschland”.Today it is a memorial complex dedicated to the heroic exploits of submariners during the great Patriotic war, as well as to the selfless work of designers and builders of the submarine fleet.
Memorial " Pulkovo border"
Memorial “Pulkovo border” is the Central link of the Green belt of Glory on the Pulkovo heights. A monumental stele with 5-meter rectangular protrusions stands on a sloping platform, T-34-85 tanks are installed on both sides of the monument, a birch alley is planted along the highway and concrete anti-tank overhangs are installed.