UNUSUAL MONUMENTS of ST. PETERSBURG
A MONUMENT to CONQUES
Conca was the first public transport in Saint Petersburg. On average, the trailers could accommodate 22 people, and on the second floor there were 24 more seats for men only. In 2004, they installed a model of a horse-drawn carriage of the 1872-1878 model, a year later they added sculptures of two horses made of plastic and concrete, and in 2009 — a sculpture of a car driver.
Location: 6th line of Vasilievsky island
“Petersburg angel” in a coat and with a book sitting on a bench in the Izmailovsky garden. It incorporated the features of elderly Leningraders, who are a model of intelligence.
Location: Izmailovsky garden and the Fontanka embankment.
MONUMENT to the PHOTOGRAPHER
The monument to the photographer was installed in January 2001. The prototype for the monument was the famous photographer Karl Bulla, but the statue is not a portrait, but a collective image of St. Petersburg photographers. In addition, on Malaya Sadovaya from the beginning of the twentieth century until the 1930s, there was a photo Studio of bull masters.
Location: Malaya Sadovaya street
MONUMENT to the WATER CARRIER
An unusual monument is installed on Shpalernaya street near the water tower, which today houses the Museum “World of water in St. Petersburg”. In St. Petersburg, there was no centralized water supply system until the middle of the XIX century. Throughout the city, water was transported on two-wheeled carts by people called water carriers.
Location: 56 Shpalernaya street.
MONUMENT to the LAMPLIGHTER
It is difficult to imagine that once the streets of St. Petersburg were lit by small old lanterns. And special people with the profession of lamplighters, regularly watched them, lit them in the evening. Walking along Odesskaya street, you can’t help but notice six ancient lanterns hung on quirky pillars, and the figure of a tired lamplighter who decided to rest a little on the sidewalk barrier. He is resting on a bench, leaning on the stairs. Nearby are memorial plaques with a message about the discovery of electricity, which entered the life of the city’s residents. This is the General composition of the open-air Museum of lanterns in Saint Petersburg.
Location:1 Odesskaya street
MONUMENT to the CHIMNEY SWEEP
The sculpture is installed on the wall of one of the Petersburg houses. The composition is a collective image of a cheerful man in a top hat, hung with a garland of ropes, a broom and a ladder-professional tools. Once the profession of a chimney sweep was necessary and honorable. These workers, smeared with soot, are always closer to the sky than ordinary citizens.
Location: 1-3 Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street.