COLORS OF THE HERMITAGE
The state Hermitage Museum today occupies the building of the Winter Palace. It is a monument of architecture in the Russian Baroque style. In 1754-1762, it was built by the Italian architect F. B. Rastrelli. Not everyone knows that the building has changed its color more than once in its history. According to the Creator, the facade of the building was painted in a soft yellow shade. So it stood until the middle of the XIX century. Proof of this is the work of artists of that era. The Golden-colored Imperial residence hosted the heroes of the war of 1812. But over time, the Hermitage changed its color. Under Alexander II, the building acquired a pink hue. The next generation of emperors preferred more intense shades of red, up to purple, as the Winter Palace found the revolution of 1917.
During the siege of Leningrad, the Hermitage was gray, and after the war, the Palace was painted blue with an emerald hue. Since then, the facade of the Winter Palace has not undergone significant changes: only the shade of paint changes slightly, but the overall range has been constant for many years. Therefore, many generations of residents of St. Petersburg perceive the current color of the Hermitage as historical, without even guessing what it was like in past eras.